Job Title: BNCS Control Systems Technologist
Technology is transforming the broadcast industry, opening up new ways to be more local, more relevant and more in touch with audiences. Advances in technology and what it can offer are breathtakingly quick and are transforming the entire media industry, blurring the divide between producer and consumer.
The Broadcast Network Control System (BNCS) provides a package of software applications to create a range of user interfaces (UI)s for control and monitoring through the use of one or more touch panels for a range of equipment.
We are looking for someone with experienced software engineering skills to help us improve our core control solution from end to end. The insights and solutions you generate will drive strategic and operational decisions that will improve stakeholder experience and maintain cost effectiveness for the delivery teams.
You will be self-motivated and have the drive and enthusiasm to play a key role in helping improve development process in innovative software solutions.
- To be proactive and suggest new development technologies and techniques that can be employed to assist our customers.
- To work as part of a project team to develop proposals that provide cost effective yet innovative solutions that meet the customers needs.
- To provide assurance on the systematic approach being adopted to deliver the BNCS solution required for a range of projects and areas.
- Although mostly based in London, this post may require some travel.
- The candidate will work closely with technical teams, business owners and end users to capture business requirements and structures, assess the impact of change, and support the business in transformation projects, driving efficiencies and providing relevant documentation.
- The successful candidate will deliver real business intelligence to shape transformation of technical solutions.
Main duties will include:
- To interpret customer requirements and devise innovative software solutions to their needs.
- To write clear specifications to communicate the intent and content of a project to others, including clients and other members of the team.
- To assist in the planning and implementation of control and business projects working in co-operation with other Project Managers and Engineers.
- To cost work by estimating effort and other resources required and to ensure work is done within the agreed timescale and budget.
- To maintain records and logs of work done, on writing, installation and modification of systems, accounting for time, materials and costs involved.
- To keep accurate records of software versions and write technical documentation on software modules or systems.
- To provide support to Control system clients, including the diagnosis of problems at a system level.
- To keep up to date with new technologies and their application to control and business systems.
- To development software applications using the toolsets to provide control solutions.
Knowledge, Skills and experience – essential
- Experience in use and implementation of Software Control systems in a broadcast environment.
- Experience of software design and development in both an individual and team environment using traditional and agile methodologies.
- Experience of understanding and documenting requirements for broadcast infrastructure control system.
- Strong design and analytical skills with a good understanding of development procedures and coding.
- Experience in translating operational needs for control systems in specification for software deployment.
- Knowledge of networking and communication protocols.
- Knowledge of broadcast infrastructure.
- Experience in working with a team of developers who engage with third-party organisations.
- Planning and organising -able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action, for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources. Keeps appropriate people well informed of plans and progress.
- Communication, Influencing and persuading -able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Adapts to the situation and can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working -able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience & Flexibility -manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Creative and Strategic Thinking -able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions. Able to identify a vision along with the plans, which need to be implemented to meet the end goal, evaluating situations, decisions and issues in the short, medium and long term.